I'm shopping around for a bank in South Africa. I travel a lot and my current bank is not designed for that...

Travel advice concerning Visas, Booking Affordable Flights, Finding Good Hotels, Renting Cars, Tourist Attractions, Restaurants and Cruises.
julia24

I'm shopping around for a bank in South Africa. I travel a lot and my current bank is not designed for that...

Post by julia24 »

I'm shopping around for a bank in South Africa. I travel a lot and my current bank is not designed for that... International payments always offline, OTPs need visas to get to you and and and.... Are you happy with your bank? Who would you suggest? Serious "buyer."
hlelo39

Post by hlelo39 »

Most definitely you should move to Investec
komotso21

Post by komotso21 »

I travel a lot. FNB is very travel friendly, everything is easy on the app.

Last time I was on holiday I unfortunately blocked my profile cause I had forgotten my password and they called me on my international number with no fuss.
mpho84

Post by mpho84 »

It looks like discovery is the winner but if you loose your card while abroad will they bring cash to your hotel room like investec? 🤔
fresh74

Post by fresh74 »

mpho84 wrote: Fri Aug 30, 2024 2:30 am It looks like discovery is the winner but if you loose your card while abroad will they bring cash to your hotel room like investec? 🤔
Discovery SA is Highly recommended , best service always, the updates and security is unmached. Very safe and user friendly, I love it😊😊
ngwana56

Post by ngwana56 »

I once got stuck in Osaka Japan 🇯🇵 because of bloody useless FNB SA
their supposedly private bankers don’t even know you & you will never reach them. Came back and moved to Investec
and it has been bliss. My private banker knows my entire family by name.
goldie80

Post by goldie80 »

OTPs do not work internationally because they come from an 086 number. That is why we now have 3DS 2 so we can authenticate on the banking app. I would recommend Discovery, plus it has better benefits on travelling.
fezo90

Post by fezo90 »

FNB, forex payments, Paypal, etc all great on the app!
dineo76

Post by dineo76 »

Investec is the best, we travel a lot as a family locally and abroad and Investec has been incredible. Proper top notch service
nomhle03

Post by nomhle03 »

TymeBank OTP is a headache when traveling
gugu89

Post by gugu89 »

Capitec and Discovery are both fantastic for international travel.
daniel86

Post by daniel86 »

No OTP on Discovery Bank and you can make international payments. But for travel, you cannot beat a good old fashioned SAA Voyager credit card. Hands down the best exchange rate in international payments. I never take cash and have never had a problem with it.
hlengiwe62

Post by hlengiwe62 »

I just returned from the UK and Rand Merchant Bank is the best. There is a global virtual card that you can use to pay for the tube and other purchases. Loved it!
inno876

Post by inno876 »

I've been with discovery and it has been amazing. Used it for 2 different trips abroad. No issues. No payment lags. Their call centre is excellent.
sarah8

Post by sarah8 »

Discovery SA is great for the above mentioned and everything happens within hours or a day at most. Also you don’t have to speak to a single soul 😍
kwena46

Post by kwena46 »

Discovery bank no need to even inform them if you’re traveling outside of your country of residence. Also has real-time foreign currency accounts. Not to mention the priority checkin and lounge access 😃. I’m a happy client.
crystal64

Post by crystal64 »

Nedbank is flawless. Money app even worked with my international sim!
chanelle08

Post by chanelle08 »

Capitec forex transaction fees for card swipes at POS devices or ATM withdrawals is one of the cheapest.
Standard Bank Shyft for online payments/ overseas hotel bookings is one of the cheapest (and it's more secure if you use a virtual card on Shyft with just enough money)
gumgum65

Post by gumgum65 »

Discovery, you can have forex accounts in USD, GBP or EUR. Those don’t earn interest though but cheap at R15 (currently) each.
Most OTPs also have app options.
DISCLAIMER: you need a regular cheque account to begin with, their pricing isn’t the most competitive in this regard
xolan789

Post by xolan789 »

I've used both Discovery Bank and FNB. I do prefer FNB, mainly out of being used to them. I hear Investec is great because you also get international lounge access. FNB app has been gold when I travel.
johnny73

Post by johnny73 »

We've used FNB's Global Account without issues a few times when traveling. Support Google Pay and they recently added support for Virtual Cards as well which makes things more secure.
kali78

Post by kali78 »

it looks and sounds to me like you bank le StandardBankZA and they are just bad nje. no 1 is not saying anything positive about them shame.
so maybe you should join Discovery coz everyone is having a great experience there even myself although i havent travelled abroad yet
lesego76

Post by lesego76 »

100% Investec, They are just amazing and I have never had any issues when travelling. 100% NEVER Standard Bank. SB the least secure by far, my card has been cloned > 5 times, including twice in the same year. I have never had any funny business with Investec here or abroad.
king60

Post by king60 »

Discovery let's you have several accounts in different currencies & they also provide debit cards in those currencies. So for eg you can have a Euro acc with a Euro debit card. You can transfer between your Rands & other accounts. Never experienced this utility before. Brillliant
barry78

Post by barry78 »

Investec. Moved earlier this year and they are phenomenal. Been with Standard Private and FNB Private Wealth for years and there is simply no comparison to the personalised attention and care you receive from Investec
truth533

Post by truth533 »

I moved both my personal and my business banking from Standard bank to Absa. Had terrible experience with them, especially after and towards the end of Covid event though millions went through my accounts pre Covid. Will never support them ever again. Will consider Investec.
adam89

Post by adam89 »

I've never had a problem with Nedbank. I suppose it depends on the extent of what is needed. I've swiped my Amex and Mastercard without any problems. Can also self activate needs.
gumede53

Post by gumede53 »

Honestly, my secondary bank Capitec has been so seamless and just amazing internationally... Also the bank charges are super low for international purchases ..
botha54

Post by botha54 »

Absa is the best 🏦 . I also travel abroad frequently and mostly in Europe. I have had the best service from Absa with no issues at all, with online transactions, atm withdrawals and swiping at retail outlets

Return to “Travel and Tourism”